What is LASIK
LASIK which stands for laser in-situ keratomileusis, is a popular surgery that can correct vision in people who are near sighted or farsighted, or who have astigmatism. In LASIK surgery, it reshapes cornea to correct its focus.
Need of LASIK ?
LASIK surgery is done to correct refractive error in your eyes. Refractive error occurs when the light doesn’t focus on your retina resulting in unclear or blurred vision.
LASIK is required to treat near sightedness, far sightedness and astigmatism.
- Near sightedness :– Near sightedness or Myopia is an eye condition where you can clearly see nearby objects but have problem viewing far away objects.
- Far sightedness :- Far sightedness or Hypermetropia is opposite of near sightedness. In this eye condition, you can easily see far off objects but you find it hard to clearly see nearby objects.
- Astigmatism :- Astigmatism is another eye problem in which your vision is blurry. The blurry vision is due to shape of your corneal curvature.
Is everyone eligible for this surgery?
All the people suffering from Myopia, Hypermetropia and Astigmatism are not eligible for this surgery. There are certain parameters as to who should think about LASIK surgery.
These are the parameters for LASIK state that a patient must have :
- Up to -12.00D of myopia
- Up to +6.00D of hypermetropia or hyperopia
- Up to 6D of astigmatism
These people should not undergo this surgery ;
- Person below 18 years of age.
- Pregnant or nursing women
- Always dependant on certain medications.
- If shape of your cornea is uneven.
- If the thickness of your cornea is not adequate relative to the amount of your refractive error.
- Person suffering from eye diseases such as dry eye or glaucoma.
- Had undergone another eye surgery recently.
- Person suffering from other health issues such as diabetes, rheumatoid or any other chronic diseases.
- Person suffering from age related vision problem.
Side effects of LASIK
There are always risk factors side effects attached to any surgery. So is the case with LASIK Surgery. There are some of the side effects of LASIK Surgery. Although the side effects are mostly for a short period but it may be chronic in very rare cases.
The side effects are;
- Inability to clearly see during night
- Dry eyes
- The need of reading glasses after few years
- Need of glasses while driving
- Itching or slight pain in eyes
- In rare cases you might suffer from eye diseases.
- Need of reading glasses after the presbyopic age (after 40years), which is a normal condition.
Benefits of LASIK surgery
There are different benefits of LASIK surgery:-
- It is not a painful process.
- LASIK helps in correcting your refractive errors. Your vision can be restored and you can clearly see objects.
- LASIK helps in getting rid of glasses and lenses. You feel free as you don’t have to bother about glasses and lenses daily.
- Success rate is very high and chances of any chronic side effects is very low.
How to prepare for LASIK Surgery?
You need to prepare yourself before the surgery.
- Consult a doctor : Before thinking of LASIK surgery you must consult your eye doctor if you should go for it or not. It’s better to get doctor’s advice before taking LASIK surgery.
- Don’t wear eye makeup : If you’ve taken an appointment for the surgery you should stop wearing eye makeup at least one week before the surgery date. Eye makeup can also cause serious eye injuries that’s why it’s suggested to not wear eye makeup before surgery.
- Stick on to eye glasses : There are many people who feel more comfortable in wearing contact lenses than glasses. But it’s recommended to start wearing glasses instead of lenses a few days before the surgery.
- Be extra careful : In order to have no problem during your surgery you need to be extra attentive before your surgery. You should take care of your eyes so that you don’t suffer from any other eye disease, conditions or injuries.
After considering all these factors only you should choose whether or not to take LASIK surgery.